By now you have probably been reading through our blog, decided that you needed to add a blog of your own to your webpage and maybe, just maybe you have added a couple pages of content to your website. Now it is time to sit back and watch the clients and customers roll right on in… Not quite… IF you have been reading our blog you know that the algorithms for website rankings are always changing, and while this may seem daunting to some people, it should be perceived as a great opportunity for most! This means that no one owns the market – the ones who rank number one for your industry today may not rank the same tomorrow. That means that it is ever changing and ever evolving – which is fantastic and exciting for anyone looking to create their own footprint in the world of SEO.
When advising clients, we encourage them to view their own personal SEO as a marathon – not a race. What we mean by this is that SEO is something that is built over time – not over night. It is important to not become impatient with the process, but to view it as a game or a challenge. Here are some tips to set reasonable goals for yourself in 2012 so that you don’t become frustrated with your SEO.
- Dedicate a specific amount of time each day to your SEO. It doesn’t matter if it is ten minutes or four hours, find an amount of time that works for you and stick with it.
- Stay up to date! Set yourself a goal of reading at least one article or blog related to SEO each day. The internet is always changing, it is important to change with it.
- Content is key! Adding content to your website is crucial to success. If you are one of the many people who do not like writing articles for your website, look into hiring someone to do it for you. Or, set yourself a reasonable goal of one page per week.
- Research your competition! There is no need to reinvent the wheel! Take a look and see what your competitors are doing – if it works, then do it!
- Keywords are as crucial to your website as content. Do some research on what keywords people are using to search for your products. Be sure to use multiple key words on your website so that you do not limit yourself. If you are having trouble, Google Keyword Toolbox is a fantastic place to start.
We think that this is a pretty decent list to keep you busy for awhile! It is important to keep in mind that the search engines only scan web pages once every six to eight weeks – so while you may have done a ton of work five weeks ago, it still may be a couple more weeks until you see any movement on your webpage.